Thursday, November 09, 2006

More Writing

More writing got done yesterday and that is always a good thing. I put a few more words down in my story about the centurion who's servant was healed. I also did a quick outline for a series of stories with more of a combat flavor and sketched out a scene for my novel. Here's a quick update on the stories currently in progress.

'Skyman'
Finished but missing the spark that will make it complete for me. It's about the dangers of messing with the status quo between two cultures, one that lives high in the atmosphere and one that lives on the ground.

'Right of Replacement'
Also finished but the end does not have the emotional punch that I felt when I dreamed it up. This is a Christ allegory about a newly victorious rebel leader sacrificing himself for one of his men.

'The Battle of Raven Kill'
This is mostly conceptual at this stage with a couple of possible sequels. It will be heavy with combat and the inherent internal struggles that that provides.

'Broken'
My novel that began as a story for a friend. This has a lot of potential but is tricky to plot because I've failed before at novels that fell apart late in the storyline. I'm trying to get a coherent plotline to go with the character arc that has firmed itself up nicely. It's a high fantasy story with heroic elements.

'Faith'
This is the working title for the story of the centurion of Capernaum in Luke 7 and Matthew 8. I'm telling the story from his point of view because he has always fascinated me, us both being in the military. Jesus will show up soon and say his lines. I hope to capture what the centurion must have been feeling based on the many clues sprinkled throughout those passages.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Right of Replacement'
Also finished but the end does not have the emotional punch that I felt when I dreamed it up. This is a Christ allegory about a newly victorious rebel leader sacrificing himself for one of his men.'


Is that a literal or figurative sacrifice?
Often with these kinds of stories the emotional punch comes not with the sacrifice itself but what happens afterwards.
Is the man for whom the sacrifice was made aware of what was done and why? If so, does he take full advantage of the opportunity offered him or does he choose to throw it away?
So, did the sacrifice fulfil a purpose which results in a positive outcome or was it entirely in vain?

Jeff Draper said...

Good points to ponder. That might help with the ending.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've given consideration to these points as well but I just thought I'd ask.

Have you given us cause to really care for this man? Do his actions and words show him to be a man of honour and integrity? Have you presented his cause as just and worthy?
Does he make the sacrifice by voluntarily handing himself over to the enemy knowing what his fate is likely to be?
Does he perceive himself to have no other choice when there is another which he fails to see?