Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Blood Knight of the Living Dead

The Blood Knight has started off exactly the way it should. The undead usurper Robert Dare assassinates one of the mid level characters in the prologue and Anne Dare starts Chapter One by staring dumbfounded at the blood of a dead man against the snow. My estimation of Greg Keyes is rising like a thing that rises a lot and gets higher up than anything. It is very likely that his series, The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, could surpass C.J. Cherryh's Fortress novels as the best modern high fantasy series. Anyone who cares to disagree with any of that may meet me on the town square, at dawn, with sword or pistol.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I love blood in the first chapter! That's my kind of book.

Jeff Draper said...

It's especially good because when we last left our intrepid adventurers they had just defeated a major bad guy plan and were gathered together on their way to have fun stormin' the castle. This book opens with them separated, under attack, and surrounded by snowfall and the hushed feeling of being alone in the wood (but you know you're not really alone.)

Kappa no He said...

I keep a running list of books that I should pick up. Always open for recomendations. Yay! I'll write this down!