Thursday, November 01, 2007

NaNoWriMo: Reasons For an Early Failure

Once again it is NaNoWriMo time and once again I have considered participating. Instead of actually trying to accomplish 50000 words in one month I would much rather put my time into surrendering faster than the French Army against [insert opponent here].

1. When I write I like to think that maybe the first words I put down are publishable.
2. When I write I like to think that maybe the first words I put down are coherent.
3. There are so many other things I could fail at this month and all of them require less effort.
4. I think it would only take eleven days before I did nothing but type "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy" and that can't possibly be good.
5. I'm good enough at ignoring friends and family right now, thank you very much.
6. The NaNo site is probably down anyway.
7. 'Motivation' and 'inspiration' will sometimes come to me through randomly flailing at the keyboard but experience has shown that it doesn't happen often enough.
8. Why participate in a good thing when you can ridicule it and still improve your self esteem?
9. After a few attempts at writing a novel have fallen flat I'm wondering what the advantage is to rapid failure with no hope of recovery vice slow progress that retains the glimmer of possible success.
10. Who are we trying to kid, 50000 words isn't really much of a novel.

Other reasons you may think of will be gladly reviewed and likely satirized.

No comments: