Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword

The weekend started well for me. Home from work, get chores done, help son #2 with his schoolwork, watch an episode of 'House' with a glass of wine, and off to bed early. Then this morning, instead of waking up and playing Medieval Total War for those crucial quiet hours I started the next story I have in mind. It's the story of the healing of the centurion's servant from Matthew 8 and Luke 7. This will be the first biblical story I've attempted. I'm excited about it because the story has always intrigued me. When I did some research I found it even more interesting. There seems to be some rich characterization possible with the centurion and his relationship with the city of Capernaum and its Jewish leaders. We tend to think of the Romans as brutal occupiers, and they often were, but this man was respected, had some level of wealth, and was a friend of the Jews. The more I think of it, the more I like how this story should turn out.

No comments: