Thursday, January 31, 2008

Faith Rejected

I got the rejection letter from Chris Cevasco at Paradox today regarding "Such Great Faith." It was a standard form letter but had a couple of handwritten paragraphs on it. The first reads: "I enjoyed this very much-- so much so that I very seriously considered accepting it for publication-- but on a second read I decided that it didn't stand out quite enough for me." The second was a personal apology for taking as long as he did to respond. I had assumed it was because the story was getting a serious look and it turns out I was right. Chris is an excellent editor and runs a very good magazine. It's very likely that I will submit these Roman stories to him at some time in the future.

For now, I will submit 'Faith' to its next market: Haruah

2 comments:

Keanan Brand said...

Those kinds of rejections are actually great encouragements. And great compliments. If only they always felt like it!

Jeff Draper said...

I'm glad that I'm getting some positive feedback in rejections now. As an interesting side note, down at the bottom of the form letter is the paragraph that says, "Nothing in this rejection letter should be construed as a request for a rewrite." Too many times, from what I understand, giving some tips and encouragement is seen as an invitation for 'discussion' (read: 'argument') regarding why a story was rejected.