Saturday, May 10, 2008

Writing Lessons From Making an Ass Out of U and Me

I had an interesting thought/revelation this morning. At least, I thought it was interesting but since I don't pay attention to my own Writing Lessons, I've probably covered it before. I wrote a story where I had a lot of emotional attachment to the characters but very little of that came across on the page. I actually thought I had improved upon the first version but it was still lacking. I realized that I was expecting the reader to fill in a lot of background details out of their own imagination. This is something I do all the time when reading. If I'm proved wrong later on, no problem, I just adjust and carry on. In a sense, I'm re-writing the story as I go. Therefore, in my own writing, I just ASSUME that everyone does that. So why do I need to provide more than the barest details when readers will fill in the rest? Well, because not everyone reads like I do.

[This post took way too long to write primarily because I kept encouraging Son Number Three to set up his Teletubbies and club them with a stuffed animal while I provided the sound track. Again, again!]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kept encouraging Son Number Three to set up his Teletubbies and club them with a stuffed animal

So, they've reached you too have they?

It's our revenge for Sesame Street ...

Jeff Draper said...

My Sesame Street days were Elmo-free so I sympathize.

Son Number Two and I have designed 'Teletoughies' who have nasty attitudes, smoke cigarettes, and steal lunch money.

Keanan Brand said...

(laughing) So, when do the 'Toughies go on sale?

Jeff Draper said...

I have a feeling that not long after I rolled them out to a toy store near you, I would soon be in receipt of a cease and desist order.