Sunday, December 14, 2008

New Discoveries at Every Turn

The new story, "Broken Rocks" has provided a couple of interesting discoveries. I'm up to 3700 words and the last two scenes are showing me some complications I hadn't considered before. The hero is moving into parts of his world where he cannot simply kill everything and be done with it. The two scenes in question came out about like I intended but as I wrote them I found that they had a lot of work to do. Several concepts and character motivations need to arise from them so the hero can get back on task. As I'm typing away and I get to a place where it feels like the scene should end, I realize that there's more to be done. While I don't mind a rising word count, I want this stuff to be interesting and that means tension and action. I've also got things like a character that I thought I needed just getting in the way so he's probably getting the axe. It's all part of the ongoing creative process that will hopefully pay off somewhere down the line. We have here the constant push and pull of competing ideas that should end up with a controlled output at the end of the day. Either that or a lot of typing exercises.

No comments: