Saturday, June 23, 2007

Son Number One Beats Father

So I'm sitting here minding my own business and Son Number One challenges me to a 2 player game of Super Mario Bros. This is the first video game he ever played and I'm the one who showed him how. About 8 or 9 years ago I hooked up our old NES to an upstairs TV and showed him how to move the guy around and jump. He could not get past the first pit; no matter what he did he kept jumping at the wrong time and falling in. I came home from work the next day and he'd been playing for hours. The rest is history.

So this time around I watched him play for about 20 minutes before he lost his first guy. I gave it my best shot and scored about 23,00 points with my 3 lives. As I write this, it's a hour later and he is a few feet behind me, still playing the same game, and on his way past 600,000 points.

I need to teach him how to respect his elders.

3 comments:

Emily Suess said...

"I need to teach him how to respect his elders."

That's no easy task. :) I hope you're up to the challenge!

Anonymous said...

Is thrashing your ageing father at a computer game the modern equivalent of the squire earning his spurs?

Three cheers for Scriptorius Rex Jr I say! The boy has shown that he is a worthy Heir Apparent to the dynasty Scriptorius.

Just watch your back Scriptorius Sr!

Jeff Draper said...

Actually, the other day we were walking around Woodland Park Zoo and we noticed he's only a couple of inches shorter than me. He asked me if I'll be upset when he grows taller than me. I looked at him and said, "The son is supposed to surpass the father."